Anti-Inflammatory Pineapple Drink (Pineapple skin drink)
- 1 pineapple
- 1 ginger finger, skin removed and cut into chunks
- 1 turmeric finger, cut into chunks
For Extra Flavor:
- honey, brown sugar, Swerve
- Cut the pineapple the way you would normally. Discard the top and the bottom. Keep the sides and the core for the drink. Enjoy the meat separately.
- Wash the pineapple. Place cut pineapple pieces in a large bowl and cover with water. Add 1TBSP of vinegar. Soak pineapple pieces for 5 min. Rinse well after soaking. This will not change the flavor of the pineapple.
- Place pineapple pieces, ginger and turmeric in a pan. Add enough water to cover.
- Bring the water to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off stove and let the liquid steep. Let the drink steep for a minimum of 30 minutes. Steeping is about extracting the flavor and health promoting compounds so the longer the better.
- Strain the solids
At this point the drink can go in your fridge to be enjoyed!
Or, you can add in additional ingredients to elevate the flavor.
Steps for Extra Flavor:
- After straining the solids, rinse your pan and add the pineapple drink back into the pan.
- Add juice from lemons, limes, oranges (This is delicious with 1 or a mix)
- Add sugar, honey or swerve and stir until it is dissolved
- Strain again if you want to remove citrus pulp. (This is not necessary, depends on how much you like pulp.)
- For adult beverage treat: Pour a shot of rum over ice and fill glass with pineapple drink.
- This is also a great starter for a refreshing Summer Sangria.
What is Swerve?